Alex Connor, USA TODAY
Published 6: 31 p.m. ET July 27, 2020 | Up-to-the-minute 6: 40 p.m. ET July 27, 2020
A high Trump administration legit has COVID-19. Tensions between the U.S. and China are escalating. And this would possibly per chance perchance be the beginning of the tip for the MLB.
It is Alex, let’s gather to the data.
But first, 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Are trying 12,000 bottles of whiskey on the twin carriageway. An overturned truck in Missouri destroyed $325,000 of Templeton Rye.
The Short Listing e-newsletter is a hasty USA TODAY info roundup. Subscribe right here!
Washington’s goodbye to John Lewis
The leisurely Fetch. John Lewis returned to the nation’s capital Monday for a closing goodbye to the people and landmarks well-known to the civil rights icon and longtime lawmaker. On its come to the Capitol Rotunda, Lewis’ hearse handed the memorial to Martin Luther King Jr., who develop to be once a buddy and mentor to Lewis. He handed the Lincoln Memorial, where Lewis spoke for the duration of the 1963 March on Washington. And he handed thru Dusky Lives Subject Plaza, where Lewis made his final public look as protests unfolded across the nation over the dying of George Floyd.
Lewis’ flag-draped casket will leisure on the East Entrance of the Capitol so the public can stroll past and pay respects. Earlier Monday, relations and lawmakers stated goodbye contained within the Capitol Rotunda. “John develop to be once revered and liked on every side of the aisle, on every side of the Capitol. We knew that he continuously worked on the side of the angels,” stated Home Speaker Nancy Pelosi. “And now we know that he’s with them.”
- “I take care of you, brother”: When simply readability develop to be once wished, lawmakers sought steering over and over from John Lewis.
- She develop to be once 13 when a bloodied John Lewis sought refuge at her Alabama family’s home: “This develop to be once our strange come of lifestyles.”
The shortest season ever? ⚾
Will a 72-hour season be sufficient for Major League Baseball followers? Two video games scheduled for Monday evening are postponed after the Miami Marlins reported as a minimum 14 avid gamers and crew people tested obvious for COVID-19. The Marlins pushed abet their home opener in opposition to Baltimore; and the Phillies – who hosted the Marlins in Philadelphia this weekend – postponed as a minimum one game in opposition to the visiting Unusual York Yankees. Commissioner Prefer Manfred must now purchase whether or to no longer extend the 2020 season, postpone it except additional understand or hope the Marlins’ outbreak is an isolated case. The outbreak, severely this early within the 60-game season, is baseball’s worst nightmare.
- The Miami Marlins would possibly per chance additionally accept as true with created “super-unfold ambiance,” and it mustn’t be a surprise.
What each person’s talking about
- Portland police detain two suspects after reported taking pictures design federal courthouse explain space.
- “Beloved her unconditionally”: Victim of explain taking pictures in downtown Austin remembered for devotion to fiancee, racial justice.
- Diabetes highlights two Americas: One where COVID-19 is with out complications overwhelmed, the opposite where or no longer it is in most cases devastating.
- Kappa Alpha alumni at Furman name on frat to diminish ties with its “non secular founder,” Robert E. Lee.
- U.S. executive sued by apt advocacy groups after file of detained migrant younger people at Hampton Inn hotels.
- Johnny Depp develop to be once misogynistic abuser of ex-well-known other Amber Heard, attorney argues as London libel case wraps up.
GOP unveils prolonged-awaited pandemic abet equipment
Senate Republicans on Monday launched a roughly $1 trillion coronavirus relief equipment that capabilities one more spherical of stimulus tests, extra support for tiny businesses and cash to reopen faculties. Almost correct now, it develop to be once criticized by conservative lawmakers as faulty and pricey and by Democrats as a ridiculously leisurely effort that falls instant of the nation’s wants. Dubbed the HEALS Act, the legislation is expected to kick off serious negotiations with Home Democrats who in May perchance well well also handed their very relish HEROES Act, projected to ticket $3 trillion.
This pandemic in actuality is the worst ever
The coronavirus pandemic is “with out complications basically the most severe” emergency ever declared by the World Health Organization, Director-Identical outdated Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated Monday. “The COVID-19 pandemic is illustrating that successfully being is no longer a reward for pattern, it’s the inspiration of social, economic and political stability,” he stated.
On the least we’re closer to a vaccine
The first super-scale American trial to check a ability COVID-19 vaccine began Monday, with Moderna dosing participants within the Allotment 3 look of its mRNA vaccine candidate in opposition to COVID-19. A number of vaccines made by China and by Britain’s Oxford University began tests this month, even though none has but proven effective amongst a super population.
A high Trump adviser has COVID-19
President Donald Trump’s nationwide security adviser, Robert O’Brien, has tested obvious for COVID-19. “He has gentle signs and has been self-setting apart and dealing from a derive location off-space,” the White Home stated in a observation, declaring that there develop to be once no threat of publicity to the president or the vice president. O’Brien is the final observe-score administration legit to contract the virus.
- 🇬🇷! Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are formally voters of Greece, the nation’s top minister announced.
- Of us are being mailed seeds they didn’t verbalize. Manufacture no longer plant them, officials warn.
- Test your couch cushions! A Chick-fil-A in Virginia is offering free food vouchers in exchange for as a minimum $10 in spare exchange.
- Unusual Jersey police spent practically 5 hours breaking up a home celebration of greater than 700 people.
- An exact collector’s merchandise: Dr. Anthony Fauci first-pitch baseball card breaks Topps legend for sales in staunch 24 hours.
- Some coronavirus patients are experiencing a new consequence of COVID-19: Hair loss.
Chinese language authorities hold preserve an eye on of US consulate in Chengdu
The US closed a Chinese language consulate in Houston, so China closed an American consulate in Chengdu. The tit-for-tat closings mark a predominant escalation in tensions between the two world powers, which accept as true with flared over the pandemic, exchange, human rights, Taiwan and Hong Kong. The Convey Division expressed disappointment with Monday’s closure of its Chengdu facility, announcing the consulate “has stood at the heart of our family with the people in Western China, including Tibet, for 35 years.” A day earlier, China’s foreign ministry issued a observation of explain announcing U.S. actions violated the Vienna Convention on Consular Relatives and the China-U.S. Consular Convention.
A crash from the data
- The 2020 Summer Olympics would possibly per chance additionally had been postponed, however you would possibly per chance additionally soundless plod for the gold at home. 🥇
- Talking of gold … The ticket of the precious steel surged to a legend $1,934 per ounce on Monday.
Here’s a compilation of tales from across the United States TODAY Community. Desire this info roundup to your inbox every evening? Register for The Short Listing e-newsletter right here.
Read or Share this epic: https://www.usatoday.com/epic/info/2020/07/27/john-lewis-mlb-marlines-coronavirus-vaccine-china-mondays-info/5516605002/
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe